Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs My world of dreams: Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder - #IAmCapable! Visit BlogAdda.com to discover Indian blogs

Friday 12 February 2016

Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder - #IAmCapable!








I can relate to the women of today who are judged based on their external looks as same was the case with me as well when I was young and working in the court.
I had been god gifted with beautiful skin and silky hair and hence there were many people who used to praise me for my looks and call me Beauty with Brains as I was not only good looking but also very good in studies and I had received a scholarship from my college as well. It was in the 80s when I had been to a beauty parlor which I used to visit often. I asked them to do a facial and they put a face pack on my skin. After 30 minutes they removed the face pack and everything was fine till I reached home. I washed my face then and I noticed that my face had turned red and it started burning a lot. I put a cream and thought everything would be fine but the next day I started getting pimples which broke after few days and left permanent scars on my face.



After this horrendous experience, I lost my beauty which was considered a plus point for me and people also started mocking me for my looks. The same people who used to praise me earlier, started condemning me. I wondered then that it's only beauty that matters and my scholarship, my education, my knowledge doesn't matter to them at all. They only used to see my outer beauty and not my potential. This case did not demotivate me and I still went on to complete my studies and I started working in the court. There also I met men who used to call me scary due to my scars and many a times I used to reach home crying and my mother used to console me. I tried many surgeries to get my looks back but all went in vain.

It was then I realized that looks matter a lot to a woman and whether or not she is talented, she gets the recognition which lesser beautiful women who are talented never receive. Whether it's any field, a women is known for her looks which is the approach of today's men and society as well. It's not only men who judge a woman based on her looks, but women too do the same and put down other women and differentiate between them. It's demeaning and hurtful to regard a women just for her beauty and not her brains. Later on, comments were passed based on my dressing style as I mostly wore dresses and people used to pass nasty remarks about me. They used to comment saying that since I'm a catholic, nobody will tell me anything but if I was their daughter, they would have stopped me from wearing such cheap dresses.



"Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder" I believe in this statement and if a person's mind and heart are beautiful, for them each and every person is beautiful. Looks don't matter at all. External beauty fades one day but inner beauty never fades. It stays with a person all their life.




Here I would like to share what people thinking about this:
a. 69% of men agree that their judgement of women is based on their looks.
b. 64% of women agree that the judgments passed on them have affected their ability to reach their true potential.
c. 70%of women agree that majority of judgments on women are from family members or friends rather than strangers.
d. 72% of women agree that working women face more judgments on their looks or their clothes than housewives.


 


I’m breaking stereotypes based on appearance by sharing my experience for the #IAmCapable activity at BlogAdda in association with Nihar Naturals.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment